Monday, February 11, 2013

Murder Salads : Roasted Cauliflower With Grapes


Winter salad that can be served with quinoa or brown basmati rice. You will need: 



1 large head cauliflower, broken into florets
90ml olive oil
Salt and black pepper
2 tbsp red grape vinegar
1 tsp Dijon mustard
½ tsp honey         
100g seedless red grapes, halved
80g grated cheddar
30g sesame seeds 
40g toasted pumpkin seeds



Heat the oven to 200C/gas mark 6. Toss the cauliflower with half the oil, salt and some black pepper. Spread on an oven tray and roast for 25 minutes, stirring once or twice, until nicely browned. Remove from the oven, pour in serving bowl and mix with the grated cheddar, so the cheese will melt with the warm cauliflower. 
In a small bowl or glass whisk the remaining oil with the vinegar, mustard, honey and a pinch of salt. Add the pumpkin, sesame seeds and the grapes into the bowl with the cauliflower and the cheese. Pour over the dressing, toss gently, adjust the seasoning to taste and serve. 
If it is snowing outside like it is here today, it will taste somehow a bit better. I can't explain why, but trust me on this. It will. 


2 comments:

MariaeMcc said...

Hello, I made this last week, it was gorgeous, thank you. I want to make it again but for someone who doesn't like cauliflower. Even though it's like no cauliflower I've ever tasted, I don't think he'll be convinced. Could you advise on a substitute please. Thank you,
Maria

Junky Nurse said...

A friend of mine who hates cauliflower says that the best substitute to it is cardboard. I totally disagree I LOVE CAULI! . In this case especially roasting it makes it soooo tasty and different. If you do have to avoid it I guess the best thing to do is roast potatoes instead. It might be slightly boring though and you might have to skip the rice or quinoa as it make it too heavy. Let me know how it goes please.