Tuesday, December 17, 2013

The turkey dish: an alternative guide to Merry Christmas

Christmas overrated or not is the best time for good food. To be honest as long as I don't have to cook on Christmas eve or day, which I find very stressful, I am fine and happy enough to eat for ten people. And beat my boyfriend in Monopoly. And watch 'It's A Wonderful Life'. And other cliches. 
This year I decided to cook for my friends before they go away for the holiday season. So last night I tried this stir fry dish, which was actually simple and tasty. Not very Christmassy but hey, the turkey was there and the mulled wine put everyone in a ho ho ho mood anyway. 
It also means I can just do the drinking during the festive preparations, since I have paid my dues. 




Ingredients

  • 1 small onion finely chopped
  • 300g turkey breast 
  • 5cm piece of root ginger, chopped (or 1 teaspoon ground ginger)
  • 5 tablespoons soy sauce (no salt necessary, soy sauce will do the job)
  • 50g mange tout, green beans or sugar snaps
  • 50g bamboo shoots
  • 80g broccoli in florets 
  • 50g baby corn 
  • freshly ground black pepper to taste
  • 2 cloves garlic, pressed
  • 3 slices of pineapple, preferably fresh, diced
  • 2 tablespoons oil
  • 150g fresh bean sprouts
50g cashew nuts
sesame seeds (optional) 


  • Wash, dry and slice the turkey evenly.
  • For the marinade, mix ginger with 2 tablespoons soy sauce, salt, pepper and garlic. Roll the turkey in the marinade, leave in the fridge for an hour.
  • Heat the oil in a large frying pan or wok and fry the onion and the turkey briefly. Stir in the pineapple chunks.
  • Add the bean sprouts, broccoli, cashew nuts and the rest of the vegetables to the pan and cook, stirring continuously.
  • Add the remaining soy sauce and pepper to taste. Toss one last time and serve. Sesame seeds can be added too. 
  • Can be accompanied by rice or noodles. (Optional) 




No comments: